What is Popplet?
Popplet is an online application that allows users a place to put their ideas (.....according to Popplet).
A Popplet is the pinboard that users can put popples. Popples are bubbles that act as containers for pictures and text.
Creating a Popplet Account
1) Go to the URL www.popplet.com and your screen will look like this:
2) Next click on the button "Sign up for free!"
3) Signing up for a free Popplet account requires your name, email address, and password.
4) When you have finished filling in the information, click to agree to the terms of service and finally click "Next". Popplet will give you a few ways to create and share your ideas. You are now set up with a Popplet Account.
Your homepage will look like the picture below, except yours may give you a short tutorial if this is your first time as a new user. Follow through the tutorial, it will explain how to set up your first popplet. If you do not see a tutorial, the next section will guide you through the process.
Creating a Popplet
1) On your home page you will click on the button "make new popplet".
2) Next you will name your popplet and choose the color you will want your popplet board.
3) Depending on the title and color you picked for your popplet board, the next screen will look something like the following screen.
4) Clicking on the ? will give you a tutorial and is the best way to understand the capabilities of the popplet board. The next section will show you the screen shots and nine helpful tips you will need to know when creating popples.
Nine Helpful Tips
Adding an Image Options
To add an image you will have four options: Flicr, Facebook, Youtube, and files from your computer
Popplet Examples and Ideas
Some of the Popplet recommended ideas can be found on your home page. The right hand side had a column that says "Example Popplets".
Sharing Your Popplet
There are a few options when you are ready to share your Popplet.
Option 1: Add your friends to collaborate on your Popplet.
Click the share button on the right side of your home page.
Next, click on the "add collaborator" button. Your screen should look like the following. Enter the name or email addresses of your friends and they will be added on the your popplet share list. If Popplet does not find your friends on Popplet, then you can choose to invite them.
Paid users can share their Popplets because they are saved online. If you would like multiple users to assess your Popplets for collaboration purposes, they will need to create a Popplet Account.
Option 2: Sharing your Popplet on Facebook, Twitter or by Email.
Popplets in Education
The ability to share Popplets has opened to door to a variety of ways Popplet can be used in education. The free version is very limited and if using on iOS device, the Popplet is stored on the device and there is no ability to share with other users. Once the teacher purchases the $4.99 app, the ability to share Popplets is unlimited. If you purchase your apps through the Volume Purchase Program store, there is a break when you purchase 20 or more license of $2.49 per unit.
Below are a few example Popplets that are shared through the Popplet site:
Popplet Ideas for Classroom Use
- Concept Mapping
- Team Project Collaboration Tool
- Gallery of a specific artist or art genre
- Presenting information on specific time periods
Ipad/Ipod App for Education
Blogs, Articles, and Links
The following links are additional resources with more information about Popplets and their uses:
Cost & Other Options
Popplet Free Online & Popplet Lite App
- Limited to one Popplet
- Popplets are stored on device
Popplet Paid Online & Paid App Version
- Unlimited Popplets
- Popplets are stored online
- Ability to name Popplets
- Ability to share Popplets
- Customizable colors
- Ability to collaborate
The web version of Popplet requires Flash player. Link to Flash download Flash Player
Security & Privacy Issues
The Lite App version stores the Popplet on the device, therefore only those with access to the device will have rights to this information. The best option for security and privacy would be to purchase the full paid version. This version is login and password protected. The teacher or creator of the Popplet has the ability to share the Popplet in multiple ways.